Welcome to geekForum.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

What pisses you off about hosting?

Discussion in 'Web Hosting' started by Dukie, Jul 20, 2011.

1. Dukie New Member

Is there anything related to hosting that pisses you off?

For me, it's if the server is having an issue and I can't get to the bottom of it :p
  2. Dr. Deejay Member

"Unlimited space & bandwidth"
    Says enough I hope :p
  3. Dukie New Member

[quote author=Dr. Deejay link=topic=58.msg171#msg171 date=1311168413]
    [/quote]

Yeah, that's really something that pisses me off as well. Especially because it hurts the hosting industry because newbies sign up with the big and unlimited hosts, not knowing that such a thing doesn't exist!
  4. Dr. Deejay Member

5. ARG Guest

[/quote]

This is very true. Although they will give you all the space and bandwidth you need, you are on a server that is shared by so many that your site often runs slow or goes off line now and then for a minute or two.
    What the average person doesn't realize is that a basic 50gb space and 200gb bandwidth account will be all and much more than they will ever need to have four or five high traffic websites.

;)
  6. Dukie New Member

[quote author=Les™ link=topic=58.msg195#msg195 date=1311169712]
    [/quote]

This is very true. Although they will give you all the space and bandwidth you need, you are on a server that is shared by so many that your site often runs slow or goes off line now and then for a minute or two.
    What the average person doesn't realize is that a basic 50gb space and 200gb bandwidth account will be all and much more than they will ever need to have four or five high traffic websites.

;)
    [/quote]

There are some companies that may actually be able to run the whole unlimited thing nicely. By not being greedy and keeping the servers 50% full at all times, with maybe a CloudLinux setup, where they can move accounts around easily.

But still, the big names like Godaddy, Justhost, Hostgator, etc. have a habit of placing lots of sites together, which results in slow down... Godaddy is well known for that especially.
  7. ARG Guest

I used Godaddy for years. I got real tired of my sites being down, even when I had a dedicated. When support was needed it usually took a minimum of two days to get a reply and then the first reply was always, 100% of the time "Have you checked your browser settings?"
    It was nothing but a sit and wait game and the average issue normally took well over two weeks to resolve, if it was resolved at all.
    I finally moved to Host Gator and have not had any issues. Their support is second to none as your normal wait time for a support reply is less than just an hour or two and they usually have a resolution with the first reply.

;)
  8. Dukie New Member

[quote author=Les™ link=topic=58.msg201#msg201 date=1311170362]
    I used Godaddy for years. I got real tired of my sites being down, even when I had a dedicated. When support was needed it usually took a minimum of two days to get a reply and then the first reply was always, 100% of the time "Have you checked your browser settings?"
    It was nothing but a sit and wait game and the average issue normally took well over two weeks to resolve, if it was resolved at all.
    I finally moved to Host Gator and have not had any issues. Their support is second to none as your normal wait time for a support reply is less than just an hour or two and they usually have a resolution with the first reply.

;)
    [/quote]

Hostgator is somewhat better, they manage their unlimited offering better than Godaddy, for sure. I believe the guy who started hostgator was only 18 and in college :p

I think he dropped out too after Hostgator became a huge success.
  9. Clara Listensprechen Member

The only host I know is GoDaddy, and the issue I occasionally have had with them is failure to connect to the database and server resets while page loads.

Used to have those issues you guys already talked about, but they've added and shifted servers and they're improved now. I also hate their "automatic billing" arrangement, because it never fails to generate a "payment failure notice" when there's nothing wrong with the account it bills.
  10. Shawn Gossman New Member

DreamHost has crazy anti-spam policies which limit how many people can get emailed in an hour from a site. This causes delays when I need to mass email my forum members about important updates or scheduled downtime. Right now it is 200 emails an hour.