Welcome to geekForum.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

US loses AAA rating

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Dukie, Aug 8, 2011.

1. Dukie New Member

What do you guys think about this: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-14441453

I think Washington did a bad job managing the debt crisis but the US does not deserve this. It's ironic S&P was one of the reasons why we are in recession due to them rating the mortgages AAA in 2008.
  2. Clara Listensprechen Member

Agreed, and there's a discussion about that on my board, if ya don't mind my saying so. On Twitter, I've said that the next time people go for fast food, they should order S&P Fries because they think France has a better economy than we do. The same people applauding S&P brought us Freedom Fries during Dubya's vanity war.
  3. Dukie New Member

[quote author=Clara Listensprechen link=topic=115.msg509#msg509 date=1313008471]
    Agreed, and there's a discussion about that on my board, if ya don't mind my saying so. On Twitter, I've said that the next time people go for fast food, they should order S&P Fries because they think France has a better economy than we do. The same people applauding S&P brought us Freedom Fries during Dubya's vanity war.
    [/quote]

lol @ the French fries joke.

Yeah, really sucks... It seems like our economy is royally screwed.

But than again, we do spend a lot of money on military (fighting two wars), among other things. Maybe we should raise taxes, if it would help the economy.

Washington is also at fault for not being able to compromise faster.
  4. Clara Listensprechen Member

And you can thank the disfunctional 2 party duopoly for that, too. It wouldn't have happened if we had more than 2 crappy parties.
  5. Dukie New Member

[quote author=Clara Listensprechen link=topic=115.msg515#msg515 date=1313082982]
    And you can thank the disfunctional 2 party duopoly for that, too. It wouldn't have happened if we had more than 2 crappy parties.
    [/quote]

That's true but sadly I believe America will always have a 2 party system... Unless the democracy itself is revamped to something different and new parties gain support all of sudden (unlikely).
  6. Clara Listensprechen Member

Unlikely because ever since the U.S. became a one-party system under the Democratic Republicans, the subsequent split of that one party into Democrats and Republicans resulted in all subsequent laws being written by either Republican or Democrat lawmakers.

But given that the U.S. had changed from multi-party to single-party to duopoly, it's likely enough that this is reason enough to change again.