Welcome to geekForum.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Unlimited Web Hosting Lies!

Discussion in 'Web Hosting' started by Dukie, Jul 30, 2011.

1. Dukie New Member

Web Hosting isn’t meant to be unlimited, because everything in life has a limit. For example, the resources that we use everyday, such as oil, gases, etc.

Technology is no different, heck think of all the steel. Although technology is improving each day and the amount of storage a hard drive can handle has increased, it still doesn’t mean unlimited is possible. It’s true webhosts can offer more web space but it doesn’t mean they can offer everything to their clients, who are usually paying pennies on the dollar for such hosts.

Read More: http://hostingcritics.info/unlimited-web-hosting-lies-list-limits/200
  2. Clara Listensprechen Member

On the other end of extreme, stuff shouldn't need an update every day like Windows does. Nor should an operating system become obsolete in a couple of years either.
  3. Dukie New Member

[quote author=Clara Listensprechen link=topic=100.msg458#msg458 date=1312078144]
    On the other end of extreme, stuff shouldn't need an update every day like Windows does. Nor should an operating system become obsolete in a couple of years either.
    [/quote]

Actually, although things don't need an updates every day, they do need the, at least once or twice a year. Because no software is 100% secure, hackers will exploit them eventually.

But if they can't exploit the software, they will attack the server and trust me, they can do a lot of nasty things... Like a DDOS (which doesn't need the attacked server to be hacked) or SQL injection...

All nasty stuff.
  4. ARG Guest

There is such a thing as unlimited hosting as I used to offer it myself when I was hosting. The way it works is that you give a customer a set amount of space and bandwidth. If they come close to their limit you just tack on more for them to use. There is no real science involved here. Hosts simply use the word "unlimited" to draw in customers.
    Logically speaking if you offer 1TB (1 terabyte) of space, even the larger corporations have a rough time using it up.
    I personally have a 500gb external drive with more than 900,000 graphic files and I still have 47% of empty disc space left. If you know Photoshop you will know that some PSD files can be quite large.

Fun Fact: 1TB (1024gb's) is about the same amount of information as all of the books in a large library, or roughly 1,610 CDs worth of packed data.

So, unlimited can be an actual concept. The only issue is that you are usually on a shared server which may cause connection or speed issues. I all actuality you would normally be offered more space and bandwidth when purchasing a $6.99 per month hosting account than you would a $249.00 per month dedicated server. Unlimited is normally offered with basic hosting, rarely offered with a VPS or dedicated.
  5. Dukie New Member

[quote author=Les™ link=topic=100.msg527#msg527 date=1313094267]
    There is such a thing as unlimited hosting as I used to offer it myself when I was hosting. The way it works is that you give a customer a set amount of space and bandwidth. If they come close to their limit you just tack on more for them to use. There is no real science involved here. Hosts simply use the word "unlimited" to draw in customers.
    Logically speaking if you offer 1TB (1 terabyte) of space, even the larger corporations have a rough time using it up.
    I personally have a 500gb external drive with more than 900,000 graphic files and I still have 47% of empty disc space left. If you know Photoshop you will know that some PSD files can be quite large.

Fun Fact: 1TB (1024gb's) is about the same amount of information as all of the books in a large library, or roughly 1,610 CDs worth of packed data.

So, unlimited can be an actual concept. The only issue is that you are usually on a shared server which may cause connection or speed issues. I all actuality you would normally be offered more space and bandwidth when purchasing a $6.99 per month hosting account than you would a $249.00 per month dedicated server. Unlimited is normally offered with basic hosting, rarely offered with a VPS or dedicated.
    [/quote]

Yeah I agree with all this.

But honestly, I think there will be a time when unlimited hosts see their businesses slowly collapse. Honestly, as new blogs and forums are started, the news of unlimited not really being unlimited is spreading...

Newbies are mostly attracted by unlimited providers and slowly they will be educated and will be able to make a better choice in the future.
  6. ARG Guest

Right. Most average site owners can get by with the basic $3.99 to $7.99 per month web hosting. They will rarely ever use all that is offered with such hosting packages, even with multiple websites on one account.

;)
  7. Dukie New Member

[quote author=Les™ link=topic=100.msg543#msg543 date=1313215016]
    Right. Most average site owners can get by with the basic $3.99 to $7.99 per month web hosting. They will rarely ever use all that is offered with such hosting packages, even with multiple websites on one account.

;)
    [/quote]

Yeah you're right but hopefully the establishments of the unlimited providers will collapse one day :p so that hosts who are actually 100% honest and don't have that much fine print, can take over the industry.
  8. Shawn Gossman New Member

My hosting service, DreamHost offers unlimited however, they have a policy on it which you clearly understand what they mean :) Many people get confused when their site gets slow and they don't realize that its not the space and bandwidth, its the memory and CPU. :)
  9. Dukie New Member

[quote author=Shawn Gossman link=topic=100.msg916#msg916 date=1321316165]
    My hosting service, DreamHost offers unlimited however, they have a policy on it which you clearly understand what they mean :) Many people get confused when their site gets slow and they don't realize that its not the space and bandwidth, its the memory and CPU. :)
    [/quote]

Well, you are an online veteran :p I don't think newbies know about the impact CPU usage and all that has on their websites!
  10. Shawn Gossman New Member

Yep, that is exactly it and its not bad, I mean when I first started forums (on Proboards server 1!!!), I didn't realize that you could make topics for each discussion and instead I made a complete board for it LOL, had over 200 boards in one day :D so common newbie mistakes happen.

But cpu and all that is something good to look into when you get into web hosting. Learn as much as you can so you know what to do when it comes to that issue. :)
  11. Dukie New Member

lol oops.. I made a newbie mistake >.> wrote my post on your reply xD This is what happens when you try to multitask...

anyways,

200 boards in one day? Wow.

Yeah, I think newbies should defiantly read some type of guide before they go off on a shopping spree.
  12. Clara Listensprechen Member

I just went host-shopping today and gotta say that though GoDaddy is expensive by comparison, it isn't by much when comparing rates on premium hosting offered by the free hosts. I'm going to look into DreamHost tonight.

What the divil is up with the BBCode tags not displaying properly and the added ampersands as if HTIML? Is this something I have to set as a preference on this boardware, or ...???
  13. Clara Listensprechen Member

Just tried to edit my above post to add that I checked the options in my Profile and only when I tried to post the edited edition was I notified that my 5 minute limit had expired. Grrrrrr.....

Anyhoo, I didn't find a BBCode/HTML selection option available--the only option offered was to select whether or not to use the Rich Text editor for posting/editing replies. What gives??