Welcome to geekForum.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Today the Big Decision was made....

Discussion in 'Forums' started by Clara Listensprechen, Jul 27, 2011.

1. Clara Listensprechen Member

I used to love SMF but it's clear that I've out grown its limitations, and future developments look similarly restrictive, not only in terms of flexibility but in terms of support. I need both.

I open this thread for non-SMF recommendations for (free/modifiable/customizable) boardware.

Must-Have List:

Bugless Arcade that I can determine which games go in it
    Threaded View/Flat View toggle
    Permissions I can set for individuals as well as member groups
    Default membergroup upon registration
    Board-specific local permission sets.

Please nominate what boardware you think suits these requirements best (NO SMF, or SMF forks please).
  2. Clara Listensprechen Member

Something not mentioned as yet on this board is Drupal. I know it's open source and I know it's for general website development rather than just forum. If anyone here has used Drupal, I would appreciate a review/evaluation of that. Thank you.
  3. Dukie New Member

I've used Drupal before but never got the hang of it. I think it has a big learning curve but it can just be me.

For an arcade, why don't you use a paid script of it's own? They are usually better and come with more game packs or whatever.

Have you looked into vB and IPB board already? You should try a demo for both of them!
  4. Clara Listensprechen Member

Well, I've already been a member of communities using IPB and I'm familiar with it from a member standpoint. Don't know about Admin or customization capability, and I'm going to need the customization capability most certainly.

I don't know much about much of any of those other things because I've been an SMFer all my Admin life. It's a major step for me, and I just started looking for something different.

Oh--what's a "paid script"?
  5. Dukie New Member

A software that you have to purchase. I believe there were a couple of great arcade software but the good ones always require payment.

Also, have you looked into XenForo? It's very stable and as an admin, you can customize a lot of the default theme from the admin panel.
  6. Clara Listensprechen Member

Never heard of it, but that's why I'm here asking. I've been strictly SMF til now and I didn't get out much (which is probably another good reason why I'm just fed up up to here with those people).

I need to get out more, starting NOW.
  7. ARG Guest

[quote author=Dukie link=topic=85.msg349#msg349 date=1311817536]
    I've used Drupal before but never got the hang of it. I think it has a big learning curve but it can just be me.

[/quote]

No it's not just you. Drupal takes a good amount of coding skills to have a decent website. It is in no way recommended for the beginner or someone that does not know much about php, html and css.

;)
  8. Clara Listensprechen Member

And yet it looks good from where I'm sitting because either way, I'm going to have to learn coding.

If I'm going to have to learn coding, I'm going to pick the coding that's commercially viable. That's Drupal, hands down.

Cheap/dirty is good enough for a forum, and that's what SMF has ultimately produced in 2.0, and that's as good a reason as any to be departing from SMF, in search of something that is flexible enough to meet specification, as it were--WITH support, compared to what they call "support" on SMF.

SMF has left me no choice but to take Gri on as a sort of development partner, and I've turned him loose on both 1.1.14 and 2.0 Gold, but what I'd LIKE to talk him into is developing 2RC2 as a possible fork, since it's officially discarded by SMF.

But what to do with my active board, which is on a considerably-modified 2RC2? That demands a quicker solution, and although my research into the matter is young yet and therefore inconclusive at this point, looking at IPB with the hosting package is interesting; with SMF I'm certainly getting what I pay for (worth not much) while paying for invisionboard will get me off of Go Daddy for my active forum.

But like I said, the jury is still out as research is still in progress.
  9. Dukie New Member

Hey,

I wouldn't recommend IPB with hosting, they charge you too much for the little they offer you back. The service might be stable but you'll be more limited than regular web hosting provider.

But if you can hold off from switching over till Feb or late January next year, I can provide you with a great solution. I'm working on something that deals with web hosting.

Anyways, if SMF doesn't pull it's act together, by this time next year, this forum might be running IPB, because I hate vB.

PS: I don't think you can fork SMF 2.0 RC2 because technically it's still under the modified open source licence but you can fork 2.0 because it's on a BSD licence. I'm not that sure, to tell the truth.
  10. Clara Listensprechen Member

Dang. I was under the impression that 2RC2 was tossed under the bus with the release of 2.0 Gold...which sux bilgewater. But you're right, I guess--2RC2 was developed under the old arrangement. Meh. I'm still hanging on to that with both fists--it's one of the few things SMF did that was worthwhile.

I just can't imagine any hosting service costing more than GoDaddy, which is why I was looking to dump it. Okay, thanks for the info.
  11. Dukie New Member

[quote author=Clara Listensprechen link=topic=85.msg388#msg388 date=1311877253]
    Dang. I was under the impression that 2RC2 was tossed under the bus with the release of 2.0 Gold...which sux bilgewater. But you're right, I guess--2RC2 was developed under the old arrangement. Meh. I'm still hanging on to that with both fists--it's one of the few things SMF did that was worthwhile.

I just can't imagine any hosting service costing more than GoDaddy, which is why I was looking to dump it. Okay, thanks for the info.
    [/quote]

Maybe SMF 2.0 could be forked, if the right group of people are brought together that is.

With $5.00 a month, I think you can find a decent provider, what I'm working on should cost about $5.00 and comes complete with everything and lots of space and Bandwidth.
  12. Clara Listensprechen Member

13. Cinccino New Member

I always use mybb and joomla, both are free. Joomla has a book out (the joomla bible) that I swear by and reccomend to all newbies, it's huge but covers all you would need to know.
  14. Clara Listensprechen Member

I've only scarcely heard about it, but I'll be sure to check it out. Thank you very much for the recommendation! Greatly appreciated.
  15. Cinccino New Member

your welcome I can help anyone with any software too, so if you need help just poke me. I mess with stuff for fun lol.
  16. Dukie New Member

[quote author=Cinccino link=topic=85.msg401#msg401 date=1311886060]
    your welcome I can help anyone with any software too, so if you need help just poke me. I mess with stuff for fun lol.
    [/quote]

I used to do the same thing, well until I ran out of time.

These days, I just lack time :(
  17. Clara Listensprechen Member

Same story for me, alas--and now my knowledge is severely outdated. :(
  18. Dr. Deejay Member

[size=1pt]We don't we fork SMF too[/size] :p *Dr. Deejay runs*