Welcome to geekForum.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Spam Posts

Discussion in 'Website Management' started by Dukie, Oct 10, 2011.

1. Dukie New Member

So, what do you think about spam posts?

Do you keep them by editing and make it look like a regular topic or just delete them?
  2. Dr. Deejay Member

When I just had 3/4 spamposts a week, I edited them but after I had 100 a day, I just deleted them :p
  3. The Craw Member

Move them the the General Chat board, and remove the links. Then I reply as if they were real topics. LOL Of course the thread starter NEVER comes back to reply. :p
  4. Dukie New Member

[quote author=The Craw link=topic=160.msg881#msg881 date=1320608791]
    Move them the the General Chat board, and remove the links. Then I reply as if they were real topics. LOL Of course the thread starter NEVER comes back to reply. :p
    [/quote]

Sometimes I really wonder if they are really good bots or real people who are really dumb :x
  5. Clara Listensprechen Member

A smart person signs in manually at first -- after that, it's bot-automated.
  6. Dukie New Member

[quote author=Clara Listensprechen link=topic=160.msg887#msg887 date=1320621809]
    A smart person signs in manually at first -- after that, it's bot-automated.
    [/quote]

Well a smart person should know that we can sniff out the bots easily :)
  7. Clara Listensprechen Member

I'm sure they do, and that's why a lot of 'em are also hackers. To hack in just to post spam. And I'm sure that as long as they get their paycheck for doing what they do, they're not going to care if we're onto 'em either. That would be the boss' headache.
  8. blahman New Member

Delete after I BANHAMMER the spammer.
  9. Clara Listensprechen Member

[quote author=Clara Listensprechen link=topic=160.msg891#msg891 date=1320628317]
    I'm sure they do, and that's why a lot of 'em are also hackers. To hack in just to post spam. And I'm sure that as long as they get their paycheck for doing what they do, they're not going to care if we're onto 'em either. That would be the boss' headache.
    [/quote]

I need to update this, as I've since made a different discovery about the spammer culture. I've shifted around my Permissions to create a couple of Primary Membergroups, and disabled postcount groups...changed registration to Admin Approval and started approving spammer registrations. I now have hundreds of spammers registered but not one spam post on Flipside, and only one got through on the main site. What did I do, exactly? I denied the new Primary Membergroups the ability to view other people's profiles. That, and I set up one board invisible to the Regular Members but visible only to spammers...I call it Spam City. Only staff can see that it's there.

The reason why one spammer got through the new permissions set was because the board the spammer posted in was set at the Default Permission Profile, and I didn't yet discover that the postcount groups also permit a spammer to bypass restrictions. I was basically using my main site to study how the Permissions set actually operated in order to come up with a formula for dissing spammers.

What I discovered was that the prime mission of the spammer isn't spam, or malware links. The primary task of the spammer is to datamine profiles. Deny them this (and access to the boards where Regular Members go) and they simply lose interest even in posting spam.
  10. Dukie New Member

Ah good find!