Welcome to geekForum.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

SMF's Best Feature

Discussion in 'Forums' started by Dukie, Jul 16, 2011.

1. Dukie New Member

So, which feature of SMF do you think is the best?

Personally, I love the package manager! It makes everything easy :)
  2. ARG Guest

Personally I like the ability and ease of customization. The possibilities of customizing SMF are literally endless. The Package Manager does do an excellent job to an extent but certain custom preferences take a personal touch that most mods would not suffice. Everybody want's a different look and SMF allows the ability to do so, in most cases with little effort as opposed to alternative forum software.

;)
  3. Dukie New Member

[quote author=Les™ link=topic=40.msg71#msg71 date=1310873113]
    Personally I like the ability and ease of customization. The possibilities of customizing SMF are literally endless. The Package Manager does do an excellent job to an extent but certain custom preferences take a personal touch that most mods would not suffice. Everybody want's a different look and SMF allows the ability to do so, in most cases with little effort as opposed to alternative forum software.

;)
    [/quote]

I have a question for you though.

Which do you think is more customizable? SMF or Wordpress? since you are a theme designer.
  4. ukranger New Member

I'd go for ease of use after playing around with VB god that thing is horrendous >:(

You need a PHD in astrophysics just to upload a package

Wordpress I can't seem to get my head around :-\
  5. Dukie New Member

[quote author=ukranger link=topic=40.msg80#msg80 date=1310923173]
    I'd go for ease of use after playing around with VB god that thing is horrendous >:(

You need a PHD in astrophysics just to upload a package

Wordpress I can't seem to get my head around :-\
    [/quote]

Wordpress package installation isn't that hard.

Anyways, I heard there were some nice videos for wordpress customization for people, online.
  6. ukranger New Member

The installation is easy but it's the custom jobs even down to creating pages I can't get

I'm sure if I spend sometime messing around with it I'll be OK but I don like to be top of the class from the start ;D
  7. ARG Guest

[quote author=royalduke link=topic=40.msg76#msg76 date=1310915322]

I have a question for you though.

Which do you think is more customizable? SMF or Wordpress? since you are a theme designer.
    [/quote]

Has to be SMF. There just isn't that much to WP and designing a theme is pretty much a waste of time. I used WP a few times but found SMF with a portal is all of WP and much more.

;)
  8. Clara Listensprechen Member

Best feature of SMF is that it CAN be tweaked (customized). When code chokes and you're tackling code at a feverish pace just to get it to do something simple ya might not think so--but when you finally get the modification to actually WORK, it's satisfying.
  9. Dr. Deejay Member

IMO the best features are the permissions and the board management. I missed a simple permission system when I used phpBB. :p
  10. Dukie New Member

[quote author=Dr. Deejay link=topic=40.msg129#msg129 date=1311093976]
    IMO the best features are the permissions and the board management. I missed a simple permission system when I used phpBB. :p
    [/quote]

I switched to SMF when I realize the people at phpBB couldn't even make the permission system easy...
  11. Dr. Deejay Member

Lol :p I switched to SMF when I began to think =P