Welcome to geekForum.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Should Trolls Be Banned?!

Discussion in 'Webmaster Articles' started by Dukie, Oct 11, 2011.

1. Dukie New Member

I'm sure most webmasters have met at least one troll in their past. Now, I would like to ask a question, should a troll be banned outright? Maybe you give him a chance or two but should you ban him if he fails to follow the rules?

Some might say yes, others no, but I am mixed. I believe a troll is someone who has issues with others in real life and thus it shows in their online personality. It might also be a young person, who is really too young to know any better.

Here are the advantages and disadvantages of banning a troll outright.

Advantage

• [li]Less drama on the forums. [/li]
      [li]Less people complaining and possibly reporting the "troll".[/li]
      [li]More "quality content" depending on the "troll" in question. [/li]
      [li]Less headache for your moderators and admins if the troll is really bad. [/li]
    Disadvantages

• [li]Lose a member who would constantly post. [/li]
      [li]Lose someone who might actually be a quality poster, if given the chance and "shown the light."[/li]
      [li]Lose posts that have a way of getting others involved in the conversations. Trolls have a way of attracting other members to take part. [/li]
      [li]Hurt their feelings and turn them into an enemy. [/li]

Honestly, I think it's better to keep a troll around and teach him how to act properly. If you do it right, you will gain a member who will boost activity and your forum's post count will grow no doubt.

But, I think a troll must be banned if they are harming other members, starting a fight, trying to harm the forum, or some how trying to go against your wishes.

Remember, you are the owner and you have the final say. What will you do?
  2. Clara Listensprechen Member

Nobody gets banned on my board except for spammers and hackers. We love our trolls.
  3. Dukie New Member

[quote author=Clara Listensprechen link=topic=165.msg798#msg798 date=1318821341]
    Nobody gets banned on my board except for spammers and hackers. We love our trolls.
    [/quote]

Yeah but that's because your forum is all about trolls :)

I actually like trolls too :) they help increase post count, hehe.
  4. Clara Listensprechen Member

It's why I've decided to let spammers in on one of my boards. They have their very own (invisible) Spam City on my board...but what's curious is that even though they're registering in droves, they don't wanna post. I guess that's because the only board they have access to is invisible, ha.

Still, spambots do cruise everybody's profiles--I've sent out a Newsletter to the real people on my forum that this will be the case and if they don't feel comfortable with that, they're urged to change stuff as necessary in their profiles. Now, this was before I fiddled with Permissions. I'm still not sure I got it right without disabling the Postcount Membergroups, as spambots now enjoy multiple Membergroup permissions (Spammer primary group and Postcount). I've got the Postcount groups disabled at this time so that I can go through all the (painful process) of changing all the Allowed Disallowed Deny matrixes before enabling Postcount again.
  5. Dukie New Member

[quote author=Clara Listensprechen link=topic=165.msg817#msg817 date=1319903682]
    It's why I've decided to let spammers in on one of my boards. They have their very own (invisible) Spam City on my board...but what's curious is that even though they're registering in droves, they don't wanna post. I guess that's because the only board they have access to is invisible, ha.

Still, spambots do cruise everybody's profiles--I've sent out a Newsletter to the real people on my forum that this will be the case and if they don't feel comfortable with that, they're urged to change stuff as necessary in their profiles. Now, this was before I fiddled with Permissions. I'm still not sure I got it right without disabling the Postcount Membergroups, as spambots now enjoy multiple Membergroup permissions (Spammer primary group and Postcount). I've got the Postcount groups disabled at this time so that I can go through all the (painful process) of changing all the Allowed Disallowed Deny matrixes before enabling Postcount again.
    [/quote]

All I can say is wow...

a forum or organized spam? :p
  6. Shawn Gossman New Member

It depends. If the troll is funny and everyone enjoys it, I will let them stay. If they are negative Nancys and everyone dislikes them, I will ask them to be nice or get banned. I usually don't get a lot of trolls on my forums, knock on wood haha
  7. blahman New Member

[quote author=Shawn Gossman link=topic=165.msg909#msg909 date=1321315515]
    It depends. If the troll is funny and everyone enjoys it, I will let them stay. If they are negative Nancys and everyone dislikes them, I will ask them to be nice or get banned. I usually don't get a lot of trolls on my forums, knock on wood haha
    [/quote]

Same for me... If they provide good content and some fun, I will let them stay.
  8. mdemy64 New Member

Thanks for the information.
  9. Dukie New Member

[quote author=mdemy64 link=topic=165.msg1088#msg1088 date=1326443137]
    Thanks for the information.
    [/quote]

No problem :)