Welcome to geekForum.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

[REVIEW] Dove Forums

Discussion in 'Forums' started by Dr. Deejay, Sep 2, 2011.

1. Dr. Deejay Member

[size=18pt]Dove Forums[/size]
    http://www.doveforums.com/

Dove Forums is one of the forums I was interested in. Simple but beautiful. I decided to write a review about it and I hope you enjoy. The installation was horrible. Passwords were visible, it wasn't clear if the location should be an url or a path, nothing was already filled in. In the end I got it installed, but still. When we're going to the discussion index, one of the first thing I noticed was the horrible navigation. No “index” or “home” link, just “discussions”. The design itself is pretty good, but the functionality is bad. It doesn't even have smileys or bbc. Luckily they filter out HTML. The search is bad too. It only searches for topic titles. Hopefully they change it in v2. It is impossible to change the avatar, so you always stick with a default gravatar image. Registration could be better, but the login is fine. When you're logged in and expand the “my account” panel, you just have a bit text, the rest is just empty... When we navigate to the admin panel, we can see a little bit hope. The admin panel is not so bad as the rest of the software. The only problem is their admin design, because it's too light in my opinion. Their layout isn't even valid html. Ofcourse, everyone makes mistakes but some things are just hilarious. I would only recommend this forum software to you if you need a simple way to discuss with friends, etc..

Installation: 4/10
    User friendly: 5/10
    Design: 8/10
    Administration: 6/10
    Total: 5.8 (Sorry if this is calculated wrong, I'm not good in maths)
  2. Dr. Deejay Member

Screenshots

Screenshots of the Dove Forums software

Attached Files:

• 1.png
      1.png
      File size:
      66.9 KB
      Views:
    • 2.png
      2.png
      File size:
      62 KB
      Views:
    • 3.png
      3.png
      File size:
      50.8 KB
      Views:
    • 4.png
      4.png
      File size:
      38.6 KB
      Views:
  3. Dr. Deejay Member

Screenshots #2

Screenshots of the Dove Forums software #2

Attached Files:

• 5.png
      5.png
      File size:
      49 KB
      Views:
  4. Dukie New Member

Wow, thanks for the indepth review and the screenshots!!!

Anyways, seems like a new forum software, I hope they will release a better version and in the future you can change your rating :)
  5. Dr. Deejay Member

Thanks Dukie :) I'm planning to review more, like SMF, IPB etc.. :) Version 2 doesn't look bad though, I've seen a HTML layout output here: http://www.doveforums.com/newdev/
  6. Dr. Deejay Member

7. Dukie New Member

This is great for new people that are into forums and such.

If you know their devs or can somehow talk to them, maybe you can ask them some questions.. have like an interview?
  8. Dr. Deejay Member

That's a great idea, thanks :D I can't contact the developers of OvBB unfortunately, as their development is dead since 2009, but I can try the developers of Dove Forums :)