Welcome to geekForum.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Hypercrites.org/Flipside

Discussion in 'Website Showcase' started by Clara Listensprechen, Jul 17, 2011.

1. Clara Listensprechen Member

http://www.hypercrites.org/Board/index.php

This board has a history dating back to what used to be the Arianna Online board, before Arianna Huffington started Huffington Post and pulled the plug on the board. Primarily political from the get-go, the Huffington board developed something of a toxic cliquish echo chamber culture and thus Hypercrites.com was born by those who protested...and brought the toxic culture with them only with disenfranchised members...some of whom got disenfranchised AGAIN, and so my board, Hypercrites.org, was founded by one of the founders of the other Hypercrites (goes by the handle of Ardd).

Ardd's mission statement for the board was that it was to be a refuge for Arianna Online refugees who didn't fit in on either the old board or the other Hypercrites, people he referred to as a "Dead Rabbits Society" (after a 19th century gang in New York). This eventually broadened to mean anybody who got banned anywhere for their political views or because a clique hit the Report button too many times.

We don't do Karma on my board, to discourage clique abuse, and it's based on the principle of Free Speech (therefore those who hit the Report button too many times might get themselves restricted). The only rules are that you're not allowed to spam, hack, get me & the board into legal trouble or in trouble with the rules of the host (GoDaddy). That's it.

And that's why the board motto is "Can you STAND the FREEDOM?"

You guys who are SMF Community old timers are probably familiar with Gri, and I know a lot of SMF has banned his backside and more than once. Here's a fair warning--Gri's on MY board now, off the streets. A "thank you" would be nice. And if you have a board that has trolls, miscreants, troublemakers or outright banned people, feel free to send 'em my way. ;D
  2. Dukie New Member

Great website :)
  3. ARG Guest

Nice site. Although I don't mind the idea of taking on refuge's that may not fit in elsewhere, I have no problem keeping the normally "banned" away from my site. I find that most regularly banned people are simply there to purposely cause trouble or to just post links to undesirable sites.

;)
  4. Dukie New Member

[quote author=Les™ link=topic=47.msg116#msg116 date=1311084721]
    Nice site. Although I don't mind the idea of taking on refuge's that may not fit in elsewhere, I have no problem keeping the normally "banned" away from my site. I find that most regularly banned people are simply there to purposely cause trouble or to just post links to undesirable sites.

;)
    [/quote]

Banned means using a proxy and creating a new account :)
  5. Clara Listensprechen Member

;)
    [/quote]
    The banned people I get have been banned for their political views as translated by some board's idea of "causing trouble". That sort of troublemaker is always welcome on my board; we love our trolls.
  6. Clara Listensprechen Member

[quote author=royalduke link=topic=47.msg120#msg120 date=1311087488]

;)
    [/quote]

Banned means using a proxy and creating a new account :)
    [/quote]
    Repressive regimes have legitimate political dissidents that need to use proxies to get around their national blockages, so I don't mind proxies. Therefore I also don't use Project Honeypot. Political dissidents are also welcome. Not to mention outright crazy people, but that's why we have a Rubber Room too.
  7. Dukie New Member

[quote author=Clara Listensprechen link=topic=47.msg151#msg151 date=1311118086]

;)
    [/quote]
    The banned people I get have been banned for their political views as translated by some board's idea of "causing trouble". That sort of troublemaker is always welcome on my board; we love our trolls.
    [/quote]

Trolling is fun :p Honestly, trolls make some of the best forum posts, EVER!

Although people might say they don't contribute to real discussion, they're still a great source of content xD
  8. Clara Listensprechen Member

Going offline, migrating to a Google + group. Closing down, closed to new registrations.