Welcome to geekForum.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

How to learn Dutch #2

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Dr. Deejay, Feb 22, 2012.

1. Dr. Deejay Member

Ok, a quick lesson as I don't really have much time right now.

[size=24pt]Learn Dutch #2[/size]
    I know I was requested to learn you the Dutch pronunciation, but I'm going to teach you how to have a good pronunciation.Why not? Because it's hard and most people will be able to understand you anyway. But, to give you a bit of an idea how to pronounce it, I decided to teach you some pronunciations.

In this lesson, I would like to pay attention to vowels.
    [table]
    [tr]
    [td]ei/ij[/td]
    [td]This is a very difficult sound, but it sounds a bit like ai in English, without the j-sound.[/td]
    [/tr]
    [tr]
    [td]ui[/td]
    [td]Also a very difficult sound, of which I don't really know how to describe it. Let's keep it like uh[/td]
    [/tr]
    [tr]
    [td]ou/au[/td]
    [td]Like ou in house[/td]
    [/tr]
    [tr]
    [td]eu[/td]
    [td]Like europe, but without the j-sound.[/td]
    [/tr]
    [tr]
    [td]oe[/td]
    [td]Like maroon. Not really that difficult, but requires some practise.[/td]
    [/tr]
    [/table]
    Ofcourse there are many more sounds, but I will write about that in later lessons. If you have any questions, feel free to ask. But remember, the sounds I described above are not exactly the same as they should be pronounced, because that would be too difficult.

Dr. Deejay
  2. Clara Listensprechen Member

I was thinking that the ui is more akin to the Japanese oo (long u) and I also know there are Dutch gutterals in there somewhere (the "disease of the throat" part). Looking forward to reading more!
  3. Dr. Deejay Member

I don't know lol :p

Yeah, like the ui in uil for example. It's not pronounced like we normally pronounce ui, but more like an "e". It's a terrible and difficult sound though. ;P

Glad you like the tutorials, I hope to post more soon :)
  4. Clara Listensprechen Member

Thanks! Kewl and a half!
  5. wsiintra Member

I think its better to get some translation notes from Google, or you can opt any institute to learn Dutch.