Welcome to geekForum.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

How to learn Dutch #1

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Dr. Deejay, Dec 25, 2011.

1. Dr. Deejay Member

I was thinking of creating tutorials about learning Dutch. So, here is the first lesson. :)
    [hr]
    [size=24pt]Learn Dutch #1[/size]
    Learning Dutch is hard. Very hard. But that doesn't mean it's impossible. I am going to learn you some basic phrases which are quite easy to remember, but the speaking part requires special attention. But first of all you need to know why you are learning Dutch. Perhaps you want to impress me or any other native speaker of the Dutch language. Or you're just bored. Or maybe you're planning to go to "Belgiƫ", "Nederland", "Suriname" or "de Nederlandse Antillen". I recommend you looking at Dutch movies, because the pronunciation is very hard. Native speakers of Spanish shouldn't have any problem with pronouncing our "g". Let's get started.

Basic Phrases:
    It would be logical to begin with the alphabet, but that's something to do in later lessons. It has the same alphabet as English though.
    [table]
    [tr]
    [td]English[/td]
    [td]Dutch[/td]
    [td]Comments[/td]
    [/tr]
    [tr]
    [td]Hello[/td]
    [td]Hallo[/td]
    [td][/td]
    [/tr]
    [tr]
    [td]How are you?[/td]
    [td]Hoe gaat het?[/td]
    [td]Quite informal[/td]
    [/tr]
    [tr]
    [td]How are you?[/td]
    [td]Hoe maakt u het?[/td]
    [td]Formal[/td]
    [/tr]
    [tr]
    [td]How are you called?/What's your name[/td]
    [td]Hoe heet je?[/td]
    [td]Informal[/td]
    [/tr]
    [tr]
    [td]How are you called?[/td]
    [td]Hoe heet u?[/td]
    [td]Formal[/td]
    [/tr]
    [tr]
    [td]I'm fine[/td]
    [td]Het gaat goed[/td]
    [td][/td]
    [/tr]
    [tr]
    [td]Thanks[/td]
    [td]Bedankt[/td]
    [td]Informal[/td]
    [/tr]
    [tr]
    [td]Thanks[/td]
    [td]Dank u wel.[/td]
    [td]Formal[/td]
    [/tr]
    [tr]
    [td]And how about you?[/td]
    [td]En met jou?[/td]
    [td]Informal[/td]
    [/tr]
    [tr]
    [td]And how about you?[/td]
    [td]En met u?[/td]
    [td]Formal[/td]
    [/tr]
    [tr]
    [td]Got to go[/td]
    [td]Ik moet gaan[/td]
    [td][/td]
    [/tr]
    [tr]
    [td]Bye[/td]
    [td]Tot ziens[/td]
    [td][/td]
    [/tr]
    [tr]
    [td]Bye[/td]
    [td]Doei[/td]
    [td]Informal[/td]
    [/tr]
    [/table]
    You may have noticed that we use "u" for formal conversations and "je/jou" for informal conversations. As there isn't such thing in English, I'll explain: you say "u" to someone that you don't know, an older person or to anyone else that you would like to be polite to. You can just say "je/jou" to me, as I'm still a kid. There will be an entire lesson about that in a few weeks. If you have any comments, requests or whatever, feel free to post a reply here. Also feel free to ask for translations in this topic and I'll translate them to Dutch for you.

Enjoy and merry Christmas!
  2. Dukie New Member

Ah nice :) I've had some interest in Dutch in the past
  3. Dr. Deejay Member

Thank you :) The words themselves aren't that hard to learn though, it's just like any other language, but the pronunciation is more difficult. :p
  4. Dukie New Member

[quote author=Dr. Deejay link=topic=211.msg1039#msg1039 date=1324888292]
    Thank you :) The words themselves aren't that hard to learn though, it's just like any other language, but the pronunciation is more difficult. :p
    [/quote]

Of course, of course, lol..

I took 3 years of French but still suck at it :p
  5. Dr. Deejay Member

Me too, but it's a beautiful language :) I'm getting headaches with numbers above 50/60 though :p
  6. Dukie New Member

[quote author=Dr. Deejay link=topic=211.msg1047#msg1047 date=1324939003]
    Me too, but it's a beautiful language :) I'm getting headaches with numbers above 50/60 though :p
    [/quote]

Oh you to? LOL French is great till you have to count higher numbers -__- the first ten are easy, then they change.. after like 20 they are like English but then they change again...
  7. Clara Listensprechen Member

Deja vu for me, actually. A couple of decades ago, Radio Nederland Wereldomroep used to do weekly Dutch lessons in English, and I used to listen to them regularly via their Bonaire transmitter (Nederlandse Antillen).

One of my favorite RN presenters (Tom Meijer) used to say that Dutch was "a disease of the throat". You might want to include a phonetic pronunciation guide in there somewhere.

It didn't end there, either--I used to listen to Radio South Africa in Afrikaans. After the fall of Apartheid, it became a whole different station, now called Africa 1.
  8. Dr. Deejay Member

Lol I agree some sounds are hard (The "ui" in "uil" for example) so I'll try posting a pronunciation guide somewhere. :) I'll try posting another lesson asap. :)