Welcome to geekForum.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

How long have you used SMF for?

Discussion in 'Forums' started by Dukie, Jul 17, 2011.

1. Dukie New Member

How long have you used SMF for?

I've been using it for almost 4 years now and it's my forum software of choice :)
  2. Clara Listensprechen Member

I don't have a simple answer to that simple question, alas, because the boards I run were started by somebody else and it's what I'm currently stuck with. I could possibly give you the date that the domain name was purchased by my now-absent boss, but I myself am nowhere near the coder he was.

Let's just say it's the only boardware I'm best familiar with, due to my previous co-admin/tester/bottlewasher/spam cleaning lady position.

It was my cleaning lady position that got me admin status on other boards, but those would be like Freeforums where you don't tweak much of the code. I'm really just a cleaning lady.

There it is....the date that Hypercrites.org was launched was in the July of 2007.
  3. Dukie New Member

Ah, I see :)

Trust me, soon you'll be more than a cleaning lady! I think you should consider yourself a webmisstress.
  4. Clara Listensprechen Member

But that sounds so....sooooooo....well....red district.
  5. Dukie New Member

Well, it's used :p Webmasters are males.
  6. Clara Listensprechen Member

Not anymore they're not. :p
  7. ARG Guest

I started out using YaBB before SMF eventually replaced it. I think it was some time around 2004.
    I was assisting in building themes (graphic side of things) at Tiny Portal Media back when SMF was at version 1.1.2 or so. Even that was quite a few years ago.

;)
  8. Dukie New Member

[quote author=Les™ link=topic=46.msg106#msg106 date=1311001865]
    I started out using YaBB before SMF eventually replaced it. I think it was some time around 2004.
    I was assisting in building themes (graphic side of things) at Tiny Portal Media back when SMF was at version 1.1.2 or so. Even that was quite a few years ago.

;)
    [/quote]

Wow, beat my by a few more years, lol.
  9. Clara Listensprechen Member

Mine three! (where is that bowdown emoticon??)
  10. Dukie New Member

You don't need it :p but I'll do this instead:

[me=royalduke]bows down [/me]
  11. Dr. Deejay Member

I guess 1.5 year, I don't remember lol :p Used PhpBB before I went to SMF :)
  12. Clara Listensprechen Member

How do they compare?
    And are ya havin' fun yet? ;D
  13. Dukie New Member

[quote author=Clara Listensprechen link=topic=46.msg156#msg156 date=1311122006]
    How do they compare?
    [/quote]

For me phpBB was nothing but crap. It was hard to use and lacked the features I need or at least the navigation and ease of use needed to run a good community.

When I switched to SMF, a week later, I fell in love instantly. Ever since than, it was SMF or nothing else :p
  14. Dr. Deejay Member

IMO phpBB is not bad, it's just those things who are difficult, like permissions, but the software itself is pretty good. :p But I prefer phpBB2 though, although it has some security issues. :( When I went to SMF For Free, I fell in love with the features it had. Later I began to think again and left SMF For Free and asked Aäron how I could convert my SMF For Free forum to SMF. That wasn't possible so I started over again. :) Full story:
    I found SMF because of this: I joined a site of Aäron. It was the first forum I joined and I didn't had any idea what the words "topics" and "boards" mean. I found the help page and I learned the basic things of forums. The forum closed a few months later and I was sad. :( I found another site, the site of Demeandor, a friend of Aäron. It had a gallery and I saw this: "Dit was het logo van Tijdverdrijver toen we nog op PhpBB zaten. We zitten nu op SMF" In English: "This was the logo of Tijdverdrijver when we used PhpBB. We are now using SMF." So, I searched for that "SMF" thing. I didn't know that SMF was free, so just stopped with looking on the SMF site. One of my friends said he had a forum on Invisionfree. He pointed me to some good hosts, like Forummotion, Invisionfree and Zetaboards. Forummotion was kind of a PhpBB hosting. Then I moved to YourBB or Forum2go. I think it was PhpBB2. Dunno sure. I joined another site of Aäron, named SolarSoft. An admin posted a link to www.smfforfree.com. I started to build a forum on that and few weeks later, i joined sm.org. I posted 2 posts and I became inactive for 4/5 weeks. Then I decided to download the SMF package to test it. Only, all files are in PHP, so I didn't know how to open them. :p I asked it in the Dutch suport board and my question was answered. The first thing I did was installing the Administrator and Moderator comment tags. It was just beautiful. And a few days later I looked for SMF 2.0 and it was awesome too.

[quote author=Clara Listensprechen link=topic=46.msg156#msg156 date=1311122006]
    [/quote]
    Yeah :)
  15. Dukie New Member

I personally never liked services like smfforfree, thank god I never had to use them!
  16. ARG Guest

[quote author=royalduke link=topic=46.msg165#msg165 date=1311167524]
    I personally never liked services like smfforfree, thank god I never had to use them!
    [/quote]

One cannot expect much from a free hosting service. Every newb and his brother purchase hosting from a mediocre host that offers unlimited domains and/or sub domains and then offer hosting on their account. The problem is that when it comes to support they usually have no idea how to fix a customers issue.
    One other way is to purchase a Reseller account and offer free hosting. The issue here is that your options are usually limited and if your site screws up, they charge an outrageous amount to obtain your own backup files. In short, they pretty much hold your files as ransome in hopes to make money from their so called "Free Hosting".
    Your best bet is to just pay the mere $3.95 per month for basic hosting from a reputable host and be done with it. Even the least expensive hosting packages will offer all one needs for a great website or two.
    ;)
  17. Dukie New Member

[quote author=Les™ link=topic=46.msg175#msg175 date=1311168667]
    [quote author=royalduke link=topic=46.msg165#msg165 date=1311167524]
    [/quote]

One cannot expect much from a free hosting service. Every newb and his brother purchase hosting from a mediocre host that offers unlimited domains and/or sub domains and then offer hosting on their account. The problem is that when it comes to support they usually have no idea how to fix a customers issue.
    One other way is to purchase a Reseller account and offer free hosting. The issue here is that your options are usually limited and if your site screws up, they charge an outrageous amount to obtain your own backup files. In short, they pretty much hold your files as ransome in hopes to make money from their so called "Free Hosting".
    Your best bet is to just pay the mere $3.95 per month for basic hosting from a reputable host and be done with it. Even the least expensive hosting packages will offer all one needs for a great website or two.
    ;)
    [/quote]

Yeah, that's true.

I'd stay with a $4-5 plan for a reputable company.
  18. Clara Listensprechen Member

I'm looking for something cheaper than GoDaddy, which is why I'm checking out free hosters. Ya, SMF For Free has got some big huge massive issues with its Arcade, too.

But right now I'm trying to set up a coding experimental board and Go Daddy gives me guff about connecting to the database during setup, invariably. Another headache I could do without.
  19. Dukie New Member

[quote author=Clara Listensprechen link=topic=46.msg293#msg293 date=1311635505]
    I'm looking for something cheaper than GoDaddy, which is why I'm checking out free hosters. Ya, SMF For Free has got some big huge massive issues with its Arcade, too.

But right now I'm trying to set up a coding experimental board and Go Daddy gives me guff about connecting to the database during setup, invariably. Another headache I could do without.
    [/quote]

If you need some space, I can gladly give you some. But it's going to be your responsibility to keep backups, although there are automated backups taken, it's still your responsibility to backup your forum :) but don't worry, Cpanel has a easy backup tool :D