Welcome to geekForum.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Future of Foruming--Is there a future?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Clara Listensprechen, Nov 29, 2011.

1. Clara Listensprechen Member

No doubt that established forum communities will continue because they're established as communities, but in recent years I've discovered that an increasing number of forum owners actually put a lot of effort/expense into forum visibility and still wind up with meager activity. What has amazed me particularly this year is that post exchanges are deemed to be essential, and even pay-for-posting is done.

If you have to pay people to post, pay for advertising, you don't have a community, really. What you have is a dinosaur on artificial life-support that puts a big hole in your pocket. Big existing forums will either stay big or get bigger because of the established community it already enjoys--new boards have been increasingly unviable without the ability to import an existing community even if it is just your friends, neighbors, schoolmates.

What I've learned is that you can't throw money at a forum with no community and expect it to grow. All you get is just a moneypit.
  2. Clara Listensprechen Member

The recent reviews of SMF 2.x and Wedge prompts me to add that the matter of spammers aren't adequately addressed by either--nor by Project Honeypot, for that matter. Wedge correctly identified the banning by IP is not the way to go, but it leaves open Default and Postcount vulnerabilities it shares as SMF legacy.

The problem of forum spammers is universal to all forumware and spammer behavior analysis has been sorely misdirected in attention on IPs whether to avoid banning IPs or to actually ban IPs. IP focus at all is a misdirection, and this is part of the inadequacies of all sorts of anti-spammer measures including Project Honeypot.

Forums are destined to be the next dinosaur.
  3. Dukie New Member

[quote author=Clara Listensprechen link=topic=205.msg1019#msg1019 date=1322676590]
    The recent reviews of SMF 2.x and Wedge prompts me to add that the matter of spammers aren't adequately addressed by either--nor by Project Honeypot, for that matter. Wedge correctly identified the banning by IP is not the way to go, but it leaves open Default and Postcount vulnerabilities it shares as SMF legacy.

The problem of forum spammers is universal to all forumware and spammer behavior analysis has been sorely misdirected in attention on IPs whether to avoid banning IPs or to actually ban IPs. IP focus at all is a misdirection, and this is part of the inadequacies of all sorts of anti-spammer measures including Project Honeypot.

Forums are destined to be the next dinosaur.
    [/quote]

Spammers will exist on forums, no matter what. We can fight the bots but never human spammers.
  4. Clara Listensprechen Member

Judging from the growing number of dead boards and boards on artificial life support these days, the trend looks like fewer people even want to fight bots anymore and prefer other social media to connect. Gamers with their xboxes and whatnot networks totally have next to no use for an Arcade either. What Arcade forums there are out there have their regulars, just as currently large form boards, both of which got their regulars at a time when foruming and arcade games were hot stuff. Everybody else seems to have moved on with better stuff.