Welcome to geekForum.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Forum owners under 18

Discussion in 'Website Management' started by Shawn Gossman, Nov 14, 2011.

1. Shawn Gossman New Member

Hey all,

What do you all think about people under the age of 18 or legal adult age in your area running forums? How about hiring staff on your forum of people under the legal adult age. Do any of you care about this at all? If so why? If not, why? What do you all think?
  2. Dukie New Member

[quote author=Shawn Gossman link=topic=199.msg913#msg913 date=1321315959]
    Hey all,

What do you all think about people under the age of 18 or legal adult age in your area running forums? How about hiring staff on your forum of people under the legal adult age. Do any of you care about this at all? If so why? If not, why? What do you all think?
    [/quote]

When I started, I was definitely not 18. But I still managed to buy my own domain, get hosting, and set everything up. I had the guidance of two twenty year old college students and a late 40 year old professional website builder and SEO consultant.

It was great, my Harry Potter forum had over 30,000 posts but sadly some hosting issues crippled it. The forum is still up but sadly with maybe 6,000 posts currently and low activity, due to Harry Potter being a thing of the past.
  3. Shawn Gossman New Member

Is harry potter over now? I don't really follow it myself *shrug*

When I started I was 13 so I too ran forums for several years as a minor. I am glad I did too. I think younger folks learn better when they're young so its easier for them to do it as adults. I go to college now and I am almost 30 and its hard for me to learn new things LOL. I wish I had learned more about coding when I was young though. I know enough to fix things on my sites but I am struggling learning it as I develop my own forum software :p
  4. Dukie New Member

[quote author=Shawn Gossman link=topic=199.msg930#msg930 date=1321317290]
    Is harry potter over now? I don't really follow it myself *shrug*

When I started I was 13 so I too ran forums for several years as a minor. I am glad I did too. I think younger folks learn better when they're young so its easier for them to do it as adults. I go to college now and I am almost 30 and its hard for me to learn new things LOL. I wish I had learned more about coding when I was young though. I know enough to fix things on my sites but I am struggling learning it as I develop my own forum software :p
    [/quote]

Yes, Harry Potter books and movies are all complete and done :(

Yes, you are right! It's easier and better to learn when you are younger. What younger kids learn, sticks with them for a long time.

A new forum software? nice! Is it going to be a fork of SMF or from the ground up?
  5. Shawn Gossman New Member

Ground up. PHP/MySQL based. Its in it's very first stages at this time. I am not making it to compete with anymore, I am making it to learn more about programming and software development. If it goes somewhere, then I plan to release it free and see what happens. However, if I learn a lot and it fails, I can still use my knowledge to maybe make some modifications for software like SMF and etc. It is mainly an educational experience for me :)
  6. The Craw Member

I started my first forum when I was 17, but I had some good guidance from fellow administrators. 'Course the forum flopped big time, but it was a fun learning experience.
  7. Dukie New Member

[quote author=Shawn Gossman link=topic=199.msg938#msg938 date=1321318026]
    Ground up. PHP/MySQL based. Its in it's very first stages at this time. I am not making it to compete with anymore, I am making it to learn more about programming and software development. If it goes somewhere, then I plan to release it free and see what happens. However, if I learn a lot and it fails, I can still use my knowledge to maybe make some modifications for software like SMF and etc. It is mainly an educational experience for me :)
    [/quote]

I wish you best of luck on this endeavor :) I hope it's something eye catching and powerful!

[quote author=The Craw link=topic=199.msg949#msg949 date=1321323757]
    I started my first forum when I was 17, but I had some good guidance from fellow administrators. 'Course the forum flopped big time, but it was a fun learning experience.
    [/quote]

What was your first forum about? If I might ask.
  8. blahman New Member

I am underage and I believe I can run forums without much issue. I think underage people have more success than old people wanting to get in on forums and websites.
  9. The Craw Member

[quote author=Dukie link=topic=199.msg950#msg950 date=1321360814]
    What was your first forum about? If I might ask.
    [/quote]

Web design/programming. Wasn't that smartest thing at the time, since all I really knew was HTML and some CSS.
  10. The Craw Member

The only thing I generally have against administrators under 18 years old, is they tend to be headstrong and power hungry. When I first started doing websites, it felt like I had created my own world that I could completely control and do with as I pleased. This seems to be the attitude of a lot of younger website owners these days. IMO, it's good for younger administrators to have friends who have been in the business longer, and know how a website should be run.

I'm not saying everyone under 18 is like this, but it does seem to happen that way.

Note: This post is not directed at blahman, or anything he said. I don't like to stereotype people before getting know them.