Welcome to geekForum.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Forum Copyright

Discussion in 'Forums' started by Dukie, Aug 12, 2011.

1. Dukie New Member

So, what would you do if a member wanted to you to delete all of their posts and topics?

If they believe they have "copyright" to their posts and topics?
  2. ARG Guest

By most international "agreements" once one publishes any item on the internet it automatically becomes their own property by way of copyright. However, they must abide by any terms or policies that are enforced on such websites. If the websites terms clearly state that anything published on said website becomes the property of the website then the "copyright holder" no longer has legal control over any publications that they may have posted and therefore makes their copyright argument invalid. But keep in mind that in this situation, the site owner automatically becomes responsible for any posts that the other has made.
    Of course anyone can fight in a court of law over this but most wouldn't bother to waste the time and money it takes to fight a copyright infringement for a simple post or two in a public forum.
    That is why it is very, very important to have a rock solid TOS and/or Policy on your site and make sure that all have clear access to it.

But, if someone wants their posts to be removed then it saves a lot of hassle to just remove them and move on or at least work out an arrangement with them to remove their name but keep the posts made by them. Someone recently requested to have their account removed from my site. I explained that removing them and their posts would mean that many topics that they had posted in would become confusing to new comers if their post were deleted. We came to an agreement to delete their account but keep their posts.

I guess it all comes down to respect and trust. They trust you to remove their name and you respect them for allowing you to keep their posts on your boards.

;)
  3. Dukie New Member

I do wonder if SMF's default copyright addresses this :eek:
  4. Clara Listensprechen Member

In that SMF boardware provides Admin with a checkbox to "delete all posts of this user", it's not the hassle Les makes it out to be. As owner of my own content, and on boards where I have the permission to remove my own posts, I save them the trouble and then announce that I'm leaving the board.
  5. james New Member

[quote author=Clara Listensprechen link=topic=119.msg555#msg555 date=1313286951]
    In that SMF boardware provides Admin with a checkbox to "delete all posts of this user", it's not the hassle Les makes it out to be. As owner of my own content, and on boards where I have the permission to remove my own posts, I save them the trouble and then announce that I'm leaving the board.
    [/quote]

I would do this too... Remove my own posts if I got permission.
  6. Dukie New Member

I think I might remove that permission from here.

because I think it might take away from the forum. Because what if there was a big discussion and someone modified or removed their post? If someone new comes in and reads through it, they may easily get lost!
  7. ARG Guest

[quote author=Dukie link=topic=119.msg597#msg597 date=1313545148]

because I think it might take away from the forum. Because what if there was a big discussion and someone modified or removed their post? If someone new comes in and reads through it, they may easily get lost!
    [/quote]

That was exactly the point that I was attempting to make. I really didn't intend to make it sound like "the hassle" as claimed but more of a respect thing for future readers.

;)
  8. Clara Listensprechen Member

[/quote]
    If that permission were revoked, you'd take away from the content that might otherwise have been contributed by people who consider the permission important, too. I for one avoid boards like that and I expect I'm not the only one who does.

I don't avoid them altogether because I might know some people on a given board--but I confine my posts to responding to those certain people and never start topics.
  9. Clara Listensprechen Member

[quote author=Les™ link=topic=119.msg600#msg600 date=1313576590]

[/quote]

That was exactly the point that I was attempting to make. I really didn't intend to make it sound like "the hassle" as claimed but more of a respect thing for future readers.

;)
    [/quote]
    ...while at the same time disrespecting the authors, who have greater rights to what they've written than the readers do. I for one give authors their due, and IMHO believe more people should.
  10. ARG Guest

[quote author=Clara Listensprechen link=topic=119.msg606#msg606 date=1313614419]

[/quote]

;)
    [/quote]
    ...while at the same time disrespecting the authors, who have greater rights to what they've written than the readers do. I for one give authors their due, and IMHO believe more people should.
    [/quote]

There is really no need to adjust permissions. You can delete an account while keeping the posts and topics made by that account. I am not sure where the disrespect aspect comes into view here? As I have previously stated:

[quote author=Les™ link=topic=119.msg541#msg541 date=1313214322]

But, if someone wants their posts to be removed then it saves a lot of hassle to just remove them and move on or at least work out an arrangement with them to remove their name but keep the posts made by them. Someone recently requested to have their account removed from my site. I explained that removing them and their posts would mean that many topics that they had posted in would become confusing to new comers if their post were deleted. We came to an agreement to delete their account but keep their posts.

I guess it all comes down to respect and trust. They trust you to remove their name and you respect them for allowing you to keep their posts on your boards.

[/quote]
  11. Clara Listensprechen Member

[quote author=Les™ link=topic=119.msg619#msg619 date=1313635865]
    [quote author=Clara Listensprechen link=topic=119.msg606#msg606 date=1313614419]

[/quote]

;)
    [/quote]
    [/quote]

There is really no need to adjust permissions. You can delete an account while keeping the posts and topics made by that account. I am not sure where the disrespect aspect comes into view here? As I have previously stated:
    [/quote]
    Another good reason to not post on your board.
  12. ARG Guest

[quote author=Clara Listensprechen link=topic=119.msg626#msg626 date=1313767106]
    Another good reason to not post on your board.
    [/quote]

Nobody is forcing, or asking you to post on my board. In fact I would be very pleased if you didn't since most of your opinions and views are simply useless and/or pathetic. You cannot seem to fathom that others have opinions and their right to them. You are always right while everyone in the world is wrong and your one sided views are getting a bit old and obnoxious. All you care about is seeing how many useless arguments you can start for no apparent reason.
    Do us all a big favor and cease from replying to any of my opinions.

;)
  13. Clara Listensprechen Member

My opinion is that you post dirty laundry. My opinion is that you should stay on topic.
  14. ARG Guest

[quote author=Clara Listensprechen link=topic=119.msg634#msg634 date=1313784302]
    My opinion is that you post dirty laundry. My opinion is that you should stay on topic.
    [/quote]

That is your opinion and I respect that, just as you should others. But dirty laundry? Your entire site is based on dirty laundry. Off topic? I was merely following your lead.

Since you are the only real active regular member here, I will now leave this website for you to have all to yourself as I am done playing with you and your ignorance.

Have a nice day.
  15. Clara Listensprechen Member

My website is the appropriate place for that content, as it happens. I'm about to install a Slap The Sysop game in the Arcade, even. You wanna smack me upside my head, that's a better place to do it than over here. Just sayin'.

======================

Game wouldn't install, so ... nevermind.
  16. Dukie New Member

Honestly, with the hell?

Please don't fight over someone else's site here.

Honestly, if you don't like a site, don't visit it. If you don't like the person who runs it, don't bring up the site.

Anyways, I think both of you should cool down :) This is about being a webmaster, not about each others websites.

Also, don't leave just because you don't like someone or the replies they give. Instead, if you think they are taking it off topic or bringing up things they shouldn't report it and I will remove it.
  17. Clara Listensprechen Member

You're already here in this thread--you might as consider it reported, hon. Just saying that a good reason to leave a website is the patronizing stance of the owner. I will not be patronized.