Welcome to geekForum.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Fireworks or Photoshop

Discussion in 'Graphic Design' started by Dukie, Jul 30, 2011.

1. Dukie New Member

So, which one do you use? Adobe Fireworks or Photoshop?

Personally I've always used Fireworks because I started out with it. The product is amazing and gives me nice designs and such.

But when I look around online, everyone seems to be using Photoshop :x but my web design teacher told me that Photoshop is to edit photos and Fireworks is for logos, banners, and other web related design manipulation.
  2. ARG Guest

I use them both but 90% of my designs are created either with Photoshop or Illustrator. ;)
  3. Dukie New Member

[quote author=Les™ link=topic=101.msg460#msg460 date=1312079419]
    I use them both but 90% of my designs are created either with Photoshop or Illustrator. ;)
    [/quote]

Never used Illustrator.. is it like Microsoft Paint? lol
  4. ARG Guest

Lol, it's much more than MS Paint. Similar to Photoshop but much more confusing to the average user. One reason to use Illustrator is because most print shops are now requiring Illustrator files and are more or less refusing Photoshop files completely. They can get clearer image layers when it comes down to using Illustrator or Corel Draw files for print since the majority of printers go by the Pantone Matching System (PMS) for colors. Illustrator supports this color system while Photoshop does not.

;)
  5. Dukie New Member

[quote author=Les™ link=topic=101.msg528#msg528 date=1313094638]
    Lol, it's much more than MS Paint. Similar to Photoshop but much more confusing to the average user. One reason to use Illustrator is because most print shops are now requiring Illustrator files and are more or less refusing Photoshop files completely. They can get clearer image layers when it comes down to using Illustrator or Corel Draw files for print since the majority of printers go by the Pantone Matching System (PMS) for colors. Illustrator supports this color system while Photoshop does not.

;)
    [/quote]

Ah, I see.

Damn, I didn't think graphic design was that in depth but then again, designers sure as hell blow my mind with their works.
  6. ARG Guest

I have never used MS Paint before but have seen a few, what I guess are miracles come from MS Paint designs.

;)
  7. Dukie New Member

[quote author=Les™ link=topic=101.msg544#msg544 date=1313215151]
    I have never used MS Paint before but have seen a few, what I guess are miracles come from MS Paint designs.

;)
    [/quote]

lol, honestly I don't use MS Paint either... I don't know why but designing seems boring to me. I never put an effort into learning it :(
  8. ARG Guest

Yes, design is extremely boring to me. Especially theme designing because there really is not much to it at all. But if it brings in extra funds, I have no problems being bored.

;)
  9. Dukie New Member

[quote author=Les™ link=topic=101.msg561#msg561 date=1313330924]
    Yes, design is extremely boring to me. Especially theme designing because there really is not much to it at all. But if it brings in extra funds, I have no problems being bored.

;)
    [/quote]

I envy you >.<
  10. Clara Listensprechen Member

[quote author=Dukie link=topic=101.msg453#msg453 date=1312073591]

Personally I've always used Fireworks because I started out with it. The product is amazing and gives me nice designs and such.

But when I look around online, everyone seems to be using Photoshop :x but my web design teacher told me that Photoshop is to edit photos and Fireworks is for logos, banners, and other web related design manipulation.
    [/quote]
    I use GIMP, which is why I never responded to this thread until now. I don't use either of the packages mentioned in the title.
  11. Dukie New Member

[quote author=Clara Listensprechen link=topic=101.msg576#msg576 date=1313507356]

[/quote]
    I use GIMP, which is why I never responded to this thread until now. I don't use either of the packages mentioned in the title.
    [/quote]

is it good?

I believe it's a free solution that's run by a community?
  12. ARG Guest

Gimp is indeed a good program for design and for the most part does support PSD (Photoshop) files. But compared to Photoshop, Gimp is very limited, especially to those that currently use Photoshop and take design seriously. It is however a great learning tool since it is a free program. There really is no sense in spending a lot of money on Photoshop unless you have had some practice and want to evolve as a designer. Fireworks on the other hand has less options than Gimp but is a great tool and used mostly for basic image design, image manipulation, etc. Photoshop and Illustrator are designed more or less for the serious designer that needs certain specific functions for various applications.

;)
  13. Dukie New Member

[quote author=Les™ link=topic=101.msg580#msg580 date=1313527703]
    Gimp is indeed a good program for design and for the most part does support PSD (Photoshop) files. But compared to Photoshop, Gimp is very limited, especially to those that currently use Photoshop and take design seriously. It is however a great learning tool since it is a free program. There really is no sense in spending a lot of money on Photoshop unless you have had some practice and want to evolve as a designer. Fireworks on the other hand has less options than Gimp but is a great tool and used mostly for basic image design, image manipulation, etc. Photoshop and Illustrator are designed more or less for the serious designer that needs certain specific functions for various applications.

;)
    [/quote]

You're making me feel bad now -____-

I actually found GIMP installed on my PC :x but I honestly only use Fireworks... For everything!
  14. ARG Guest

Lol, no need to feel bad. Every designer has their own preferences and use what they are comfortable with. Like I said, I have seen some true miracles come from MS Paint which is the most basic design software you can find and was originally created for children to have fun with while on the computer.

;)
  15. Clara Listensprechen Member

[quote author=Dukie link=topic=101.msg577#msg577 date=1313516383]
    [quote author=Clara Listensprechen link=topic=101.msg576#msg576 date=1313507356]

[/quote]
    [/quote]

is it good?

I believe it's a free solution that's run by a community?
    [/quote]
    Yes, but it's open code, unlike SMF. It's got plenty of bells & whistles and capabilities (and some it doesn't--it doesn't do a good job making waving flags, for example) but still isn't up to what you guys pay for. I take it that Fireworks isn't free anymore than Photoshop is.

To Les' point--if one never uses Photoshop, one never needs a PSD capability in the first place; if one does use Photoshop, one doesn't need GIMP in the first place.
  16. Clara Listensprechen Member

[quote author=Dukie link=topic=101.msg582#msg582 date=1313541802]
    [quote author=Les™ link=topic=101.msg580#msg580 date=1313527703]

;)
    [/quote]

You're making me feel bad now -____-

I actually found GIMP installed on my PC :x but I honestly only use Fireworks... For everything!
    [/quote]
    And I've recently acquired a full version of Cyberlink's PhotoDirector...but I still go to GIMP first. It's a matter of familiarity.
  17. ARG Guest

[quote author=Clara Listensprechen link=topic=101.msg603#msg603 date=1313613681]
    To Les' point--if one never uses Photoshop, one never needs a PSD capability in the first place; if one does use Photoshop, one doesn't need GIMP in the first place.
    [/quote]

I cant bring myself to agree on this statement. Simply because one does not own Photoshop, it does not render a psd file useless. Gimp is a great learning tool as well and has been the foreground program for learning Photoshop for tens of thousands of today's designers. I own the Adobe CS5 suite but still use Gimp regularly for quick projects as do many of my designer friends. Gimp is more lightweight that Photoshop and comes in handy on the laptop when one is on the fly but needs to assist a customer. Stating that "if one never uses Photoshop, one never needs a PSD capability in the first place" is a complete misunderstanding. Gimp not only supports psd files but creates them as well. The instant that one opens an image in Gimp and creates a second layer, there is your psd file. Almost every designer I know that used Gimp uses it to alter psd files.

;)
  18. Dukie New Member

I seriously gotta give GIMP a try soon :) well another try that is.
  19. Clara Listensprechen Member

[quote author=Dukie link=topic=101.msg621#msg621 date=1313676275]
    I seriously gotta give GIMP a try soon :) well another try that is.
    [/quote]
    Indeed. Les doesn't realize that people who don't have Photoshop can't use Photoshop in the first place. I know the demonstration I did for GIMP had its flaws, but I just don't have the time to do more than just cobble together a simple demo. It does have a good number of bells and whistles that a simple demo doesn't justify.
  20. ARG Guest

[quote author=Clara Listensprechen link=topic=101.msg629#msg629 date=1313767539]
    ...Les doesn't realize that people who don't have Photoshop can't use Photoshop in the first place.
    [/quote]

I do not believe that this is what I have said. I don't think that you are getting my point exactly as you seem to put words in peoples mouth simply for debating purposes. I merely stated that Gimp supports Photoshop files, therefore Gimp is a good tool to learn working with Photoshop files as Photoshop files are not subject to be used strictly within Photoshop.
    I know that one cant use Photoshop if one does not own Photoshop, just as one cannot drive if they don't own a car, one cant see if they have no eyes, etc. ???