Welcome to geekForum.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Do you blog?

Discussion in 'Blogs' started by Dukie, Jul 24, 2011.

1. Dukie New Member

Ask the subject asks, do you blog?

Why do you blog? For fun, to make some money, share information, etc. Why?
  2. Clara Listensprechen Member

I used to. Political review of the day. But I got miffed at the places I had blogs at (Blogger, MySpace) and so no longer blog. I have substituted activities on Newsvine and HuffPo for blogging.
  3. Dukie New Member

[quote author=Clara Listensprechen link=topic=69.msg263#msg263 date=1311538163]
    I used to. Political review of the day. But I got miffed at the places I had blogs at (Blogger, MySpace) and so no longer blog. I have substituted activities on Newsvine and HuffPo for blogging.
    [/quote]

Miffed? What do you mean?
  4. Clara Listensprechen Member

Blogspot went over to the Google Dark Side and I couldn't blog anymore without being forced to sign up for a Google account, which I still never use. I refuse to be forced into junk like that.

MySpace had a lot of changes (change for the worse) and so I just plain ole quit going there. It has new owners now but nothing's changed (yet).
  5. Dukie New Member

Sadly I think myspace will always be bad.

I heard Google was going to roll out a new version of Blogspot.
  6. Clara Listensprechen Member

Oh dear. And I used to like MySpace, too. And its IM.

IMHO Google ruined Blogspot. Would prefer somebody else own it. {sigh}
  7. Dukie New Member

[quote author=Clara Listensprechen link=topic=69.msg335#msg335 date=1311798493]
    Oh dear. And I used to like MySpace, too. And its IM.

IMHO Google ruined Blogspot. Would prefer somebody else own it. {sigh}
    [/quote]

We can't always have what we want sadly. Anyways, have you thought about maybe starting your own blog with Wordpress script? You'll have full control and Wordpress is really flexible.
  8. Dukie New Member

Wordpress is amazing, you should try it if you ever have time.
  9. Clara Listensprechen Member

Thanks for the recommendation. I'll keep that in mind. :)
  10. Dukie New Member

[quote author=Clara Listensprechen link=topic=69.msg366#msg366 date=1311821256]
    Thanks for the recommendation. I'll keep that in mind. :)
    [/quote]

No problem, if you ever do use it, please tell me how it goes and if you like it. actually, maybe write a review for it on this website?
  11. Shawn Gossman New Member

I run one active blog at this time. Its my personal website. I rarely post but mainly am active when I chase storms. I travel all over the USA chasing tornadoes and severe weather and post about ity, the videos and images on my blog. I haven't had a good storm chasing event in a long time. Almost did today though ;)
  12. Dukie New Member

[quote author=Shawn Gossman link=topic=69.msg912#msg912 date=1321315854]
    I run one active blog at this time. Its my personal website. I rarely post but mainly am active when I chase storms. I travel all over the USA chasing tornadoes and severe weather and post about ity, the videos and images on my blog. I haven't had a good storm chasing event in a long time. Almost did today though ;)
    [/quote]

Is that a hobby or like a job? Just curious.
  13. Shawn Gossman New Member

Well I been chasing about 12 years as a hobby really. However I have been a SKYWARN Storm Spotter for just as long and that is more of a volunteer to local community type thing. Its more a hobby really but if I take great footage and images, I can sell them for really good rates and earn a profit. I am trying to profit off it just to help with fuel costs but I don't want to make it a job because they I am sure I will get tired of it. Its like my sites, I try to profit to let them pay for themselves, but I mainly keep them as a hobby :)
  14. Dukie New Member

[quote author=Shawn Gossman link=topic=69.msg936#msg936 date=1321317803]
    Well I been chasing about 12 years as a hobby really. However I have been a SKYWARN Storm Spotter for just as long and that is more of a volunteer to local community type thing. Its more a hobby really but if I take great footage and images, I can sell them for really good rates and earn a profit. I am trying to profit off it just to help with fuel costs but I don't want to make it a job because they I am sure I will get tired of it. Its like my sites, I try to profit to let them pay for themselves, but I mainly keep them as a hobby :)
    [/quote]

I see. That's really nice of you and if I were you, I'd also try to make a profit for the costs... especially if it makes the cost of my hobby free :p
  15. blahman New Member

I tried to blog with blogger but meh, too lazy to keep it updated.
  16. hackrishna New Member

Yup, i do blog. For sharing information. Doing that i also get to learn a lot ;)